Nicole joined us for a 7.5 mile loop at the Versailles State Park. We did intervals walk, trot, walk, trot and so on. I cantered Phebes a little bit but it was nice and slow. Phebes and Arabee really hit it off! No mare ears, and they were nickering to each other and not too pleased to be going off on separate trailers. Arabee is a really nice mare. She reminded me so much of my Puddin' as she is in your pocket sweet, now that Nicole, you kind of have to watch her....(kidding). We finished the loop in 1 hour 23 minutes, and I checked pulses as soon as we came in. Both horses were well below 60, and I think Arabee would have been even lower, but she was a little unsure about me sticking that thing on her. If we get to ride again, I'll do a fake vet check on Arabee and we will do a trot out. Nicole got to see one of Phebes low velocity roll backs which I hung onto this time. I'll take low velocity over high any day. Nicole commented on Phebes seemed fairly calm. I told her that was because we had an hour of round pen prior to hauling this morning. It was a nice ride, and especially fun to have two horses that are similar in where they are in the scheme of things.
I was very impressed with Arabee's good mind. She was calm and willing and is going to make a very nice distance horse over time, just hang with it Nicole you are doing a good job. That horse has some nice rock crunching bare hooves too. ~E.G.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association