Wk#1: Concentrate on developing a forward walk. Ride 1/2 hour per day rain or shine. The end week goal is to ride the mile in 1/2 hour.
Wk#2: Ride 1/2 hour daily walking half the time, and trotting half the time.
Wk#3: Ride 3 one hour sessions, and ride 3 half hour sessions. Ride a measured mile at the trot and record time.
Wk#4: Ride an hour each day, do hill work, and add a 1/2 mile gallop sometime during the week.
Wk#5: Ride 10 miles walking for ten minutes and trotting for five, over rolling terrain. The other days increase the ration of trotting gradually.
Wk#6: Ride an hour daily over heavier terrain trotting at least half the time. On the weekend ride 15 miles in 3 hours over hilly terrain.
Wk#7: Ride 2 hours at an average of 6 mph. Midweek, gallop 1 mile, walk for a few minutes, then gallop another 1/3 mile. Ride 20 miles in 3-4 hours.
Wk#8: Ride 2 hours at an average of 6-7 mph. Midweek gallop 1 mile, walk a few minutes, then gallop another 1/2 mile. Ride 25 miles in 4 1/2 hours.
Wk#9: Ride hard three days per week, and do ring work the other days for suppling. A long distance ride on the weekend.
Wk#10: Increase your sprints to 2 mile sessions. Ride three days per week. Ride 10-12 miles in an hour.
Wk#11: This week either ride long, or ride fast. Sprints are good to build wind. Work at pacing about 9-10 miles per hour.
Wk#12: Ride three days this week, but work mostly on spuppling exercises and give the horse a few days off before the ride.
This program has you moving way faster than I want to go....~E.G.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association