December 6, 2008

Riding in the winter time R-O-C-K-S!


First I want to thank everyone for coming out on this cold, snowy, and blowy day. The trails at Henryville were beautiful, and I kept wondering....are we home yet? If they'd have lost me I'd have been so lost! You know you have ridden a hill when you ride Henryville, or should I say hills...and more hills...are you ever not on a hill? Gwen Anrico, David Monroe, Stacie Johnson, Christine Eickleberry, and myself made up the ride group. We covered 8.55 miles which sounds short, but it was slick on those hills. The going was slow, at least the going was supposed to be slow, tell Phebes that.

Phebes presented some problems, my problem horse child, was unwilling to rate her speed, and wanted to run through the Dr. Cook bridle, and I think she'd be happier leading the pack rather than following the pack, but she is in no way ready for that. She was trotting at an extended trot finally at one point, and I used David's mare to rate her right at 10 mph and that worked for awhile, then she wanted to pull and race again. Then upon returning, she did not want to load PERIOD. I did all the usual things I do with her to get her to load, but she wasn't having any of it, and was pushing me around physically. Thank God for David Monroe who decided to just try pulling her in, which worked. I jumped in, clipped her up, and David got out. It perplexes me, she loads like a trooper when the trailer is not attached to the truck, which tells me my horse is smart enough to know trailer + truck = going down the road.
It was only the two problems, but thanks to a great group of endurance riders we made it home unscathed. I am so grateful to these people for extending their friendship, and kindness...it takes mentoring to a whole new level when you ride with "The Endurance Granny"

*GOOD POINTS FOR THE DAY*
No spooking.
No bucking.
No trying to fling my butt onto the ground.


So the strategy is to try a hackamore vs. the Dr. Cook's and practice rating her up in the arena area, then in the field, and finally on the trail. The hackamore I have is an english hack with a leather nose band, and fairly short shanks. I'm not sure it will adjust up tight or short enough, so we may need to punch some holes. Then see how she acts in it, since all she's ever been in is the Dr. Cook's Bridle. I may also try one of Puddin's knotted nose band side pulls. It probably won't slow her down, but as a last resort it is worth a try. Right now the ground is ice covered which makes for bad footing at the work area up front. But I am tenacious we will get to it soon as we can.

The ride in winter time beats any ride in the summer. You are comfortable temperature wise, and how beautiful is it riding with the snowflakes fluttering down, the woods quiet except for the wind, and creaking branches. So nice to share the laughter, the time on your horse, and the trail itself. Awesome wonderful stuff. ~E.G.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you like winter riding. Give me 90 degree temperatures any day. I need to move to Florida I guess.

    Michelle Detmer

    ReplyDelete