June 20, 2008

Denny Taylor came today. He was so nice!

I'll tell you the trailer loading has had be so bam-boozled and befuddled. Being able to only insert 3/4 of the horse in the trailer, being so close....but not being able to work out how to get the job done! I was so stuck. I found Denny through Frank Bell's Dances with Horse's website. He drove all the way from his end of the state, down to mine to assist me with teaching her to load. I was really nervous about it after all the bad experiences of the spring. Would she even let a male trainer close to her again? The answer is yes she did. He spent some time bonding with her, and scratching all the good places, her eye was soft, and she was trying to please. He led her to the trailer, and the training began. No whacking on her! No bad temper, this guy was calm, and very kind to the horse, everything was really low key....like watching grass grow actually. He arrived at 9:30 and had her loading by 11:00 a.m. He encouraged me to load her a couple times a day, and maybe let her eat her supper in there each evening. When she is able to stand tied in there calmly for about a week, then we are to go for a short easy 10 minute minute trailer ride. Next time a 15 minute trailer ride, and eventually increase her exposure to traveling in the trailer. I loaded her about five times myself today, and he suggested I let her rest until this evening and have one short session, with her meal as a reward when I'm done. The thing I learned is that not all horses will learn from a cookie cutter approach. She didn't want to load herself, she feels to insecure to lead the way in there. He feels as she becomes more relaxed about the trailer that will come. It was an expensive lesson, but I can't say that it wasn't worth it. He did what I was unable to do, with no horse melt downs, in a very short time. Praying it all sticks!!! Thank you Denny Taylor, horse whisperer ~Endurance Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment