Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association
February 2, 2015
The Finer Art of Pacing
In the beginning our higher power may have created the heavens and earth, but unfortunately...he left pacing our horse pretty much up to us. Not taking pace (forward movement at a controlled speed in a relaxed frame) into consideration probably sidelines more endurance horses than you can shake that proverbial stick at. You are riding your horse in a highly charged environment, horses are in your horse's mind "fleeing the scene" which very much looks like "running from a predator." Picture this in your mind...so teaching your horse to set your pace is a critical early skill to develop.
So here are some excellent resources on taming that beast before it ruins your ride ☺ Click here.