If you have horses you know, if it isn't one thing, well---yeah, it's another. Journey succumbed to annual October outbreak of folliculitis which segues into multiple nasty and draining subcutaneous cess-pools of infection. So she's on meds to clear that up. Three Octobers in a row, I think next year I'm just going to go ask for the script ahead of time. That is now on the mend.
Phebes got bit I believe by a spider. Nasty huge swollen bit on her belly/flank area. Not a spot she likes messed with necessarily on a good day, nonetheless I've been compressing it a couple times a day to encourage it to drain. It is improved about 80% just a tight swollen spot now about the size of a quarter, and fang marks. I'm hoping to ride her Sunday so hope I get it totally resolved by then. I don't get very many chances to ride with other humans and this is an opportunity for a slow ride out which Phebes has not had in three years.
I know you all are sick of the bucket list, but I need to talk about it to keep myself motivated. I'm not particularly good at long-term goals, it's an attention deficit thing or something such. But I managed to squeak up the bucket another 1% since last report. I'm expecting a little bump from cards this Thursday. I'd like to hit that 25% mark, it will just give me H-O-P-E that I can manage to get it done on time with my very tight budget. November should be a good work month for me as far as getting extra hours which all God willing will dump into the bucket. Unfortunately extra hours do not = overtime for me since I'm only a 32 hour employee. But I'll take what I can get. Just want to keep it on target to meet the goal. So far so good, barely on target...but there just the same.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association