September 9, 2014

Journey has it going on but I am still struggling

We received a new orange/black reflective bridle and crupper in the mail last week while I was gone to South Carolina for a wedding.  Thought I'd get that fit properly to her today and do a little test ride. Looks very similar to this one, only mine is a halter bridle with bit hangers.
 Photo

 It's been almost two weeks since I'd been up on her.  I'm not experiencing residual fear at all, but I have ZERO STAMINA.  I had warmed her up and went up to the trot, and five minutes...FIVE and I was done.  Sweat saturating my head, running down my back, and feeling generally bad.  Not sure if this is still problems from the accident (still have moderate neck pain, and a sore tailbone) or if I've just become this intolerant to the heat, if the second one is the case I'm doomed at aspirations for the OD.  Short story shorter...I had to call it a day.  I've no choice but to wait things out until my body says I can do the thing again.  Doesn't mean I'm not going to ride, but I believe it will be like starting over for me to catch the curve and recondition myself.  It is disappointing as I don't think for a minute I can pull off the last ride of the season with what little time we have left, factoring in the time we've had off.  But I'm not going to dwell on it.  I'm going to plan on a trip to Virginia next year to experience the ride, do some photography and blog about the OD, and just enjoy the experience.  I have a long time to concern myself with the other, but what will be, will be.

Before I forget!  The new bridle.  The biothane on it is pretty wide, and at first I thought this isn't going to look right as I've always used a very minimalist bridle set up.   I found out that not only did I like the look of it on her, the bit hangers are sturdier, and the bridle had a bit more "feel" to it.  I'm really pleased with it.  The only thing I'd change about it is the throatlatch on mine does not have a snap, it buckles.  I prefer a snap as it is faster.  Otherwise, it is a really nice bridle and will reflect off of a flashlight or headlights should she get separated from me.  Her reins and crupper will as well.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment