It hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday why Journey's pulse recovery was so good at Summer Breeze (in all honesty this has never been her strength). Three weeks of cantering intervals in the heat prior to the ride. Yes, the pump up sprayer of cold water helps...but the intervals, that is why suddenly she has improved. I was reading for the fourth time a book on getting going in Endurance, and hit the chapter on training to be competitive. Here is the brief synopsis: Interval Training and Hills (done at the canter). So what I did for the benefit of not keeling over like a dead opossum in the heat, translated to our benefit in other ways. How very exciting ☺
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association