April 18, 2014

Electrolyte Recipe

I'm mixing these up today so thought I'd re-share the recipe.   If you are not a fan of molasses this is certainly optional.   It provides sodium, potassium, magnesium, and Tums serve as a source of calcium.    A serving is then mixed with a carrier (Applesauce, Vanilla or plain Yogurt, Aloe Vera Juice, or your own horse's favorite creamy yummy).   Draw it up into the electrolyte syringe, squirt in horse's mouth (only after horse has ate or drank, not on an empty stomach), then draw up some clean water in your syringe (or a squirt bottle if horse will accept that) and rinse the horse's mouth out.   Many people out West don't use them.  In the Midwest and Southeast humidity almost dictates using them, though I suppose a rare horse or two might manage without.   I've found that if I give a dose pre-ride Journey drinks well througout an LD or the first half of a 50.  If riding a 50 I will give her another dose at the half-way point chased by at least 16 ounces of water to rinse her mouth completely (I in fact use a human water bottle that squirts for this).    If you aren't the do-it-yourself type, you can purchase these from Distance Depot, and other vendors that cater to distance riders.



No comments:

Post a Comment