We have some whopping storm fronts moving through today and tonight. Not wanting to subject Journey to a night of 40-50 mile wind gusts and driving rain, we will shoot for riding on Saturday rather than Friday. I have a creeping feeling in my gut that trail conditions will be rather messy, limbs down, trees flopped over, widow makers and such. If nothing else, we will have one helluva trail ride.
I had a ride buddy up until a few weeks ago. She encountered a health issue and some unexpected financial expenses and has opted not to come to Indiana. My next person possibility decided to run for top-ten. Journey will be lucky if she is top turtle. I'm holding out hope that the number three person will not ride Friday and ride with me on Saturday, but not holding my breath either. I asked someone from the Appaloosa group that had declared they were riding turtle if I could tag along with the agreement that I not slow her down, she declined. Posted twice on the AERC facebook page requesting a ride buddy for the ride. Didn't happen. I may simply be a pariah. So Journey and I will saddle up, ride solo as we always we do. She is conditioned enough, just not sure if she has the heart to continue when things begin to get tough if she thinks she's "the only horse out there in them woods." We have new toe straps, new pastern straps, the saddle is stuffed with payday candy bars. It's a beautiful world ☺
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association