We are a year and eight months in from very unsound (bare) hooves. LSEGH did her trimming today and here were the take aways.
* NO HOOF WALL SEPARATION
*NO EVENT LINES
*INCREASE IN SOLE CALLOUS
*PERFECT BACK HOOVES
On the negative side.
*Some bruising from the power strip rivets in her hoof boots.
*Toe on the front still a wee bit long
*Heel on the fronts is still a little under-run.
I should have taken pictures. But I didn't. I was too busy kissing the spotted wonder and scratching off mud, and pulling out mane tangles.
I believe we are ready to abandon boots on the hind and to start gradual toughening up.
The power straps may need to come off the fronts.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association