December 9, 2012

Journey's Bare Hoof Transition

We are a year and eight months in from very unsound (bare) hooves.   LSEGH did her trimming today and here were the take aways.

* NO HOOF WALL SEPARATION
*NO EVENT LINES
*INCREASE IN SOLE CALLOUS
*PERFECT BACK HOOVES


On the negative side.

*Some bruising from the power strip rivets in her hoof boots.
*Toe on the front still a wee bit long
*Heel on the fronts is still a little under-run.

I should have taken pictures.  But I didn't.  I was too busy kissing the spotted wonder and scratching off mud, and pulling out mane tangles.

The plan.

I believe we are ready to abandon boots on the hind and to start gradual toughening up.
The power straps may need to come off the fronts.

~E.G.

1 comment:

  1. That is fantastic news! A year into my barefoot/booted journey and my gelding can leave his hind boots behind for trail rides (walking only) on really easy terrain (no rocks or gravel). He still needs the fronts and I still boot him all around if I am doing a conditioning ride. I dream of him one day being a "rock cruncher" but honestly I am just so happy to have a sound horse that I really don't mind booting him.

    Congratulations to you, EG! I know you must be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete