I found this little hand-out put together by MICMO (Michigan's group for CMO). It is the best article I've found thus far on the topic, and if someone were presenting the idea to new people, saddle clubs, or just wishing to get a feel for the sport themselves this is the one! Written by Jeanne Beroza. It covers all the basics.
What is CMO and CMO basics.
Trail Markings and Landmarks.
A sample CMO course map.
Long course vs. short course.
What you need as far as gear.
How to read the compass.
How to triangulate where that darned station is!
What to do when you get to a ride.
Strategy for taking the shortest route possible.
What not to do!!!
Well written, very thought out. Way to go MICMO!
You will find it HERE.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association