Okay...so I have a masochistic love/hate addiction to these two forums. So much so that I am subscribed to both, and read more or less every square inch of as it lands in my inbox. I have to wonder though about the usefulness of these forums in capturing and keeping new blood to the distance sports. Personally I've posted a response or a question a handful of times over the past few years, and usually I get blasted either right then or there, or get some horrid response sent to my mailbox, which isn't the fault of the forum necessarily, but rather that the non face to face of the internet is complimentary to the inner bully. When new riders eventually find their way there and offer up an opinion, or an idea, or ask a question, often all unholy hell breaks loose. How does that help new rider retention? How does it draw new people into the sport.
So here I offer some tips for the newbie on staying out of the fray on the forums:
HOWEVER...If you are masochistic use the following words in your post:
CHANGE (change rules....bad, bad, bad)
CTR (may you rest in piece)
NEWBIE (just because you are, just paint a target on your chest)
BOOTS (if you are in support of them)
SHOES (if you don't use them)
BAREFOOT(if you think it is a healthy choice)
REAL (all in relation to LD, Endurance)
ENDURANCE NEWS (in support of electronic media rather than wasteful paper)
"AND VARIOUS OTHER WORDS"
I'm sure there are more...I'll keep you "posted."
Stay safe! ☺
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association