August 12, 2012

Thoughts and Ponderings

Since I am in too much pain to sleep...I'm pondering heart rate recovery.

Just looked over this article by Karen Chaton concerning adding omega 3's and 6's to the horse's diet for this purpose.

Interestingly, Phebes was on a supplement that was high in Omega's though it was not fish oil.  After being on this awhile she was having amazing recoveries, but I'd never really put two and two together.  I just thought it was the miles finally doing the work for us, but this article really made my brain go "ding!ding!ding!" NO-not ding a ling.  So do I do fish oil?  Or any rich source of Omega? 

**************************************************

Journey is no worse the wear for her ride today.  She has eaten non-stop since we finished.  I mean EAT.  Two buckets of beet pulp, recovery ration, grass, hay, carrots, apples, she is ravenous.  I checked her back and it was great, no heat in her legs (she took a bad stumble at the canter today that scared the crap out of me).  We will shorten up our rides for the next 10 days or so, then do another long run in a couple of weeks away from home.  Our next competition is hilly (can I not go anywhere flat?) so we have to keep chugging up the hill from hell.  The Spotted Wonder looks good.  Well hydrated, sound, holding weight. 

***************************************************
Since I get up at 5 AM and it is now midnight I guess I should try to sleep.

~E.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment