Here on the Old Dominion site is the holy grail of newbie endurance information. You can find just about the entire catalog of information here in one place.
Old Dominion is the "other" 100 mile ride. Some say Tevis is tougher, those from our side of the country proclaim The Old Dominion to be "THE BEAST OF THE EAST." This ride isn't as old as the Tevis, having been run since the early seventies. It likely has its own claim for being tough due to the grueling rocky terrain + the humidity to go along with it. If you want to really test your endurance you can ride "Cavalry" meaning NO CREW, NO HELP. Now that is a test of Endurance. I'd love to hear tales of the trail if anyone has some concerning the other 100 mile ride. ~E.G.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association