June 12, 2012

Moving Up In Distance

Having not done it yet, it is kind of difficult to espouse much of anything on the topic except that:

  1. I'm a little intimidated.  Physically I'm not sure I have that much "ummph."  Mostly the problem with my right foot.  It could be a deal breaker.  So far I've used various padding components to cover the stirrup (which is the easycare type already padded in the first place). I have used various brands of inserts in my boots, which only further squished the swollen joint against the upper making it more painful.  Moved up a size in boots.  Attempted riding in tennis shoes which I really liked for about seven miles...switched brands of riding boots and now not only does the joint start screaming stop! stop! stop it!!! My foot and toes start going numb.  Not the joint, that would be too convenient.  Osteoarthritis/Fibromyalgia and middle fifties you suck.
  2.  Not sure I'm up to snuff on the difference in how to train for a 50 mile ride.  At this point I believe I could saddle up a chicken and get it fit for a slow LD.  I've had five years and three horses to practice on.  Low-heart rate training?  Check.  Long slow distance?  Check.  Consistent riding three times a week?  Check.  Time consuming?  Check.   I figure I will have to change how I ride to get Journey to be successful at a 50 mile ride.  Most of the principles we use apply, but there will be some tweaking to do.  I just need to figure out how and what to focus on with about twelve weeks to "get 'er done."  Our LSD rides lately have been only ten miles or so, I'm thinking I need to shoot for closer to 20-25 at pace by a couple of weeks prior to an attempt. 
  3. There are still booting issues to resolve for the spotted wonder.  LSEGH is my "hoof honey" and we have batted around, gluing on Gloves, gluing on Renegades, switching to strap on Renegades, continuing with Gloves and the old style gaiters.  If I'm having issues at 25-30 miles (none too drastic currently) it may become more problematic with the increase in miles.  Probably so.  We have also considered getting a sewing machine tough enough that I can replace my own velcro to make the gaiters last longer.  The immediate plan though is to put new style gaiters on the fronts, and old style on the backs with a vet-wrapped hind hoof up to the ankle if I have to!  Or put socks on her like I used to do Phebes.  Yeah....zebra socks....
  4. Journey is a wildcard as to if she even has a 50 mile ride in her.  Though she is a cooperative little horse, and has never offered to "quit."  At least so far!  
Other stuff:

Journey wasn't happy so far with the new bit. All kinds of chewing and chomping and fussing.  It definitely gets her attention, but I'm not clear if my hands are good enough to ride out in it for now.  We'll do some more schooling and see what we get.  For trail work she definitely prefers the Myler I've had her in. 

Phebes is SO FAT that I'm getting concerned.  She only gets about a pound or so of concentrated feed daily just to make sure she gets her vitamins, supplements, and whatever in the way of meds she might need and to check her over daily at the barn.  The pasture at this juncture is the poorest I've ever seen it due to a lack of rain.  Out of grass already in June!  It usually takes us mid to late August to need hay. So it isn't lush pasture...  Her gut is just humungous.  Phebes gives a brand new definition to "air fern."  She needs work and I've no time to devote to it, unless I should win the lottery, which would require me to buy a lottery ticket, so fat chance!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your first completion with Journey! Sorry, I am a bit late in the game in commenting!

    Have you thought about sticking to LDs for a while longer? If I were you, I would do a few more until they are easy, fun, and you have most of the serious kinks ironed out and then think about the challenge of a 50.

    As to getting fat on what seems like air, not a lot of people know that stressed grass (as in drought conditions) produces much higher sugars for survival sake so even though it doesn't look like much it is packed with MORE calories. Don't be deceived by summer grass. Now if you are down to dirt, that is another story.

    ReplyDelete