April 4, 2012

Where are you?

So often with my horses, especially now that I'm getting "older" I find myself seeking the safety zone.  Granted my safety zone most would not consider safe, riding alone in the woods on green horses, riding horses at times with no under saddle training.  I do take some lumps and bruises.  But I am finding since my worst fall off Phebes that I feel much more cautious.  Knowing that I may not heal so well, may not bounce back from a bad fall.  Journey going down with me put "fear" into the equation, and I'm not accustomed to feeling fearful on my horse.  But when you are stuck training a horse, you can't keep doing the same thing unless you want the same result.  So I cautiously stepped outside of my safety zone and began working on the canter with Journey.  We have not met "my" goal to canter a full big circle, keeping rhythm and balance yet.  But we are cantering nice straight lines at this point and no bucking!  We will get the circle mastered eventually.

Are you stuck somewhere in your safety zone?  If so,  step out, and head towards that incredible place!

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts and a good reminder to think about trying something new. I really enjoy reading your thoughts about lots of horse topics. You make me think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN! I just came back from a Ron McLoughlin clinic. It was awesome because I chose to let go of my secret fears and push myself. I can't describe how good it felt afterwards.

    ReplyDelete