- To ride hands free at all three gaits.
- How to fall gracefully off the right front of your horse (once landing on my feet still haven't figured exactly how that worked).
- Not every horse can do the distance thing.
- Alpha mares are hard to love, but worth it in the end.
- The word SLOW is a relative term. It means entirely different things to different people.
- I like the controls on a sensitive horse.
- The meaning of "air fern."
- How to "teach" a lot of things, and how not to.
- Offspring may in no way resemble the breeding pair.
- Horses can untie ropes.
- Pinto fillies can turn into grey mares.
- Fear does not solve problems.
- Anger does not solve problems.
- Problems are solved by hard work, careful thought, and introspection.
- The beauty of an "up" Arabian can still take my breath away.
- Grass is better than hay, even ugly winter grass.
- The fun of giving a drink from "her" water bottle, or letting her slurp from the garden hose.
- A bath means the horse will promptly roll in the dirt. This one kills me. Happens every time.
- Some horses are anti-social. Phebes really doesn't care for other horses much.
- That the alpha-mare of all time has met her match in the much smaller Journey.
- I am oh so lucky to have horses.
- That she is still "my girl."
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association