The horse will choke on it. It will explode their insides. This article dispels these myths and spells out the benefits of feeding beet pulp. Alas....it does not mention the benefits to the distance horse, more the weight keeping benefit. I like feeding it in the winter because of the extra moisture content it soaks up giving the horse more water in their diets than they might get otherwise. This is also the benefit for a distance horse. Not all horses find the stuff to their liking, but generally mine do like it, a lot!
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association