Today's lovely riding forecast:
The high: 98 degrees
Humidity: 58-90 % depending on time of day (right now you'd need windshield wipers).
Heat index: wow! it's cooling off....only 107 today! (yesterday was 105-111).
I'm not asking anything from my horses. They are spending their days totally saturated with sweat, heads down under the shed roof. I'm supplementing with electrolytes due to the profuse sweating, cold hosing in the late afternoon, and more or less cursing Indiana weather. I know you folks out west have your own issues to contend with...but I wish I could pack up a truck, trailer, and horses and go west and RIDE. ~ E.G.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association