May 16, 2011

An Interesting Prospect has Popped up.

I'm contemplating a half arabian gelding from a RESCUE.  He is small (14.1) so two inches shorter than Phebes.  The rescue is run by a veterinarian, which really makes me feel good about getting the truth about a prospect.  She said he has great feet, and a GOOD MIND, not spooky.  He's already under saddle. He's in the correct age range that I could enjoy him for a lot of years, and she said his only issue is he likes to move out and motor down the trail, which in our case would not be a "bad" thing.  I've emailed her in hopes that I can get a date to come look at him and ride him.  They also have a nice looking thoroughbred that would be a possibility.  Getting a horse from a rescue resonates with my "do it yourself" sort of personality. 

Phebes continues to do well.   Since her work is limited right now she is on a fiber only diet.  Getting chubby though! I'm going to continue working with her to keep her fit and keep an eagle eye on her muscle tone.  I'm undecided about what her future job will be, but I'll think of something!   ~E.G.

6 comments:

  1. Exciting prospect! Sometimes there are true diamonds in the rough (or not so rough) at rescues. My gelding I am doing LD on now was given to a trainer and she sold him on for $400 to cover a farrier class. He is 14 hands flat. And he is the best little horse I have ever owned in my life. Plus the tiny size makes getting on and off a dream! He gets out-trotted by almost every body just due to short legs (his extended trot is actually HUGE..for his size) but he has heart and staying power. Anyway, hope you get to check this prospect out, sounds exciting! I always vote for little horses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cross I am looking at is an Arab/QH cross. He does "look" like a QH head and neck, but body is more stocky/arab. My only concern would be his staying power, but he doesn't have to go fast. My only question with him is does he have muscle fiber like the arab or the qh? He's a very pretty boy, but smaller, already trail ridden, so he may just be quite ready to roll with a little conditioning.

    The Thoroughbred is a mare, 5 years, just started under saddle, calm, and tractible at 15 hands. She is a very pretty mare. With clean x-rays of her legs I'd feel good about her, but I'd need to take a year to trail ride her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I'm going to have a look at them first, and ride them, and find out all I can before I can make a firm decision. Oddly, this gelding keeps "popping" up in my searches. Does anyone know anyone else riding the arab/qh cross in LD?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course I'm going to have a look at them first, and ride them, and find out all I can before I can make a firm decision. Oddly, this gelding keeps "popping" up in my searches. Does anyone know anyone else riding the arab/qh cross in LD?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are lots of Quarabs (and other arab crosses) competing in our area. . A lot of people seem to prefer them because they often come out a bit taller and, to put it nicely, "more sensible" :) I also know of at least two full APHA and AQHA horses who have top-tenned LDs in the NW.

    The trick is to look at the individual and not the breeding. Look at him as if you know nothing about what he is on paper and judge him on his own merits. Take some good conformation photos to post here (?) and to really study him at home when it isn't the heat of the moment. I find when I'm actually looking at a horse in person I tend to forget my list of qualifications and just start petting his pretty face and imagining beach gallops.

    I am not sure if you have anything like this in your area, but I have a friend who is getting her next endurance mount from a standardbred rescue. That's another great option for a do-it-yourselfer.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The gelding sounds really nice!
    Also, I have to put in good word for Thoroughbreds- my breed of choice :) Mine seem to love the trail.

    ReplyDelete