Contact information:

Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Email: jackereynolds@yahoo.com


February 16, 2010

Only 7 Weeks left until the first INDIANA Endurance ride.

So I am really feeling the pressure here. I've lost all the month of February so far, which means we have gone further backwards than forwards. Is it reasonable to think that we can in any way be ready for Chicken Chase in April, just 7 weeks away? If so, someone with experience tell me how? Assuming we melt off this deep snow pack like PRONTO! Ideas, thoughts? ~E.G.

13 comments:

  1. P.S. more snow coming in over the weekend :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last I heard the snow shouldn't amount to too much. At least I'm crossing my fingers!

    I believe you can ride Chicken Chase. I would just start behind everyone else and try to take the full amount of time and look at it as a training/conditioning ride. Unless you get on the ball and really make some progress, than shoot for a slow/middle of the pack ride.

    It's still not too late. Just my opinion . I'm not terribly experienced so use your own disgression.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've alraedy decided that the earliest ride that I can be ready for would be June. Unless it is an unusually dry spring, maybe be the ride at the end of May. But so far, my experience with Indiana is that it is still pretty wet in May and I don't have a place I can ride when the ground is soft & muddy.

    I figured I could volunteer for a ride or two. :-)

    But I also don't think my goals are ambitious as yours. So if you think you can be ready go for it. Only you know if the 2 of you can be ready in time.

    Lida

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, did u get my response back? It often times goes into spam so if u didn't get it just let me know and i will send it again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zach,

    Yes I did. Today was my 12 hour work day so I hadn't got a chance to get back with you.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seen your comment on Nicole's blog. Boy you really are a Hoosier aren't you!! You could very easily cross the state line and go to a couple CTR's that are closer than Salamonie Sizzler! Only cost $30 dollars for a Coggins. You should really consider it, if it's something you really like. If you want to make the longer trek to Scioto it's REALLY worth it! Laura and I want to try to go out there again sometime.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it were me, I would do as much riding as you possibly can , weather permitting, between now and then, and if nothing else, you can always attend the 25 mile as a conditioning ride and just take it slow and easy. Atleast it would something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle, I really am! I detest leaving the state really in any direction. Always like to be within a rock's throw of home. Clark is just so convenient as far as the drive. Salamonie was a LONG trip, and I hauled with a buddy which made the trip fun, but hauling alone, it would be more stressful than fun. I don't have much of a support system if things go wrong. Doug works all the time (not by choice but by factory decree) so I try to minimize my risk, because often he can't come help me out if I have trouble. US RIDER and Indiana are working for me at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I posted on Nicole's blog that MAYBE sometime you two should go together to a CTR. Just an idea!

    You going to ride this weekend, or today?

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daunna has just gotten a coggins pulled on her horses from the trailer! Mostly because the vet couldn't make it out to her place in the short amount of time Daunna needed one. (so she trailered to the vet) And because the vet is always a little cautious of Daunna's horses and would just rather they stay in the trailer as opposed to getting out. But Daunna has drop down windows on her trailer.

    Also, I had suprise bloodwork drawn on my horse at an endurance ride (for drug testing). She was fine with it, but she's always pretty good with a vet and is used to having blood drawn once a year for a coggins. It may happen to you too, not sure if they test for LD's, but if you ever do 50's.

    It should only take a few seconds and only feel like a little pinch for a second. I don't have any fear of needles and neither do my children. The nurses are always amazed when my kids fight over who will get the shot first and they don't cry.

    If your vet is no good, you an always come over here and use our vet. I don't think he could be tough if he wanted too. He's a smaller man that has been good with my horses. So far at least!

    Good luck!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to get her out today and work in the snow I guess. The roads are clear but we have no way to get off for traffic and she'd be claustrophic I think. I've rigged up some new gear that I need to try on her, and she hasn't had her "fake" electrolytes for several days so we need to do that too. I may just work in my neighbor's little hay field. The snow is deep and the ground frozen so I don't think it will hurt anything. I avoid it when it is wet so I don't mess up his hay. But I don't believe that will be much of a factor today. Getting INTO the field will be the hardest thing, not sure we can get over the snow mountain left by the snow plow...hmmm...might need to work her in our front lot (boring).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jacke, if you find any good out of state rides that are not too far, I might be game to go. I really enjoyed the ride I did in Ohio and the one in Illinois. I think my limit is 3 hours, though I prefer to travel 2 hours or less. I usually just go ahead and get my coggins every year when the vet comes to do vaccinations. Saves a vet call if I need a coggins and seems like I always want to go out of state at least once for a clinic or event.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your new header pic.

    I think ultimately it's going to be up to you and what your gut tells you-listen. although I hemmed and hawed about going to the 100, I knew in my gut it would be OK-she's holds fittness well and was doing good before the rain. As long as I got some rides it, it would be fine.

    Other rides I've scratched and those too were good decisions. One thing I always try to ask my self is "am I pushing it and do I feel 100% confident I can finish?" The answer is usually revealing of whether I should go. I try to remember the mantra - get there faster by going slower.

    I'm always so impatient to get to the first ride of the season, but when I'm in mid season I look back at how silly I was - that there are plenty of rides and I should worry about it.

    One reason that I can't give you more concrete advice is that I've never had a horse tye up. I'm sure there are additional considerations you have to deal of that I'm not aware of in whether or not she's ready. Typically, for the LD distance I'd reccomend that the rider go for it (slowly) if they've been able to get in the amount of riding you have.

    ReplyDelete