Contact information:

Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance

January 31, 2010

The jogging part didn't work out so well

I've determined that I'm not quite ready for a "jog", we had to settle for powering walking, otherwise I couldn't keep up, and I couldn't breathe! Not good... So I handwalked her (in temps at 27 degrees) for 4.75 miles out. Then rode her back like before. She wanted to do a little jigging coming back but finally settled into an animated walk. The roads I have available to me aren't the greatest for solo training an excitable horse. Wide, blacktop, and just a little more fast traffic than I'm comfortable with. I want slow vehicles, as she is still acting pretty reactive. Doug met me on the way back, he had the walkie talkie in the car, and I had one in my pocket. He probably saved my bacon as I'd have met a fast moving truck on that bridge with no place to get over and no time to get off. It turned out pretty hairy as it was. With his warning I managed to get off and get a good hold on her reins before the truck popped up on the bridge. We did have some dog issues. 3 mutts, a Gernman Shepherd that would have loved to get ahold me as he was growling and slinking a circle around us, then two boxers and another mutt (those were fenced in so it was okay).

I'm going to have to go back out and visit Michelle, and let Phebes move down the road some more with a calm experienced horse. Or find a less traffic loaded road to travel on for awhile. All said and done we had nine and a half miles on the road, and I bet I'll be crippled with muscle aches tomorrow between the power walking, Fibromyalgia, and the COLD. But that is okay, we got it done. That is the main thing. A hot soak in the tub will help. I hope. ~E.G.


  1. Sorry to hear it didnt go so well. I'm gals e eryone is ok. I'm dreading my run on Tuesday, I'm just not getting out and doing what I should.

  2. Well, I'm not feeling really bad about it. A 4.75 mile walk isn't too bad and I was definitely getting my heart rate up on the hills. I probably got more exercise overall than if I'd have just done what the instructions said. But let me say, I was OH SO GLAD to climb up on the horse for the ride back (even if she is a little turd).

  3. Come on out.

    I rode with Allen Saturday afternoon. He rode Stormy for the first time. He didn't mind her too bad, but he wants to ride his own horse next time. I was just wanting him to try riding Stormy once to get his opinion on her for Allison (my oldest daughter).

    Then I rode solo today. Just Shazam. And didn't go too far. Allen said I could order his renegade boots today so that's what I'm going to do as soon as I get off of here. I hope they come before this weekend but it takes them a good little while usually.

    Glad to hear you made it okay. Let me know if you want to come out sometime. I ride as much as possible you know me!


  4. Sure wish you could make it out this way! We have 'some' roads w/traffic, but at least enough room to duck out of danger if we 'needed' to. A good place to get an equine used to road traffic.
    It's funny, my equine are pretty much traffic safe. It's the surprise deer or pheasant that you gotta watch out for! :)
    "Good job" for making the effort, takes guts! :)

  5. Oh, please, I can't run from here to the barn. I've always heard walking is just as good as running and I choose to believe that! Especially if you've got hills and you did almost five miles.
    And with traffic and dogs to deal with, and nobody come out with a scratch... sounds to me like a successful outing, though maybe not what you'd planned!
    - The Equestrian Vagabond

  6. I don't know....a few times I was wondering if I was doing anything remotely intelligent out there. But I survived, and got some exercise. So I'll count it as good experience.

  7. Sounds like you are doing great! Way ahead of me & Doc! Not having a decent place to ride in the winter doesn't help! When is mud/frozen season over? :-)

  8. Mud and frozen is over just before heat and humidity sets in. They are usually about two days apart *LOL*