Started out my New Year "in style" today. Phebes sporting her new breastcollar which fits great! Me wearing my new Tipperary helmet. Let me tell ya, it is C-O-L-D out there today. But my philosophy is that I can crawl out to the barn and throw my leg over a horse...then I'm going to ride on New Year's Day. The footing is all frozen and difficult for the hooves to navigate so we did a whopping three miles, but must say I truly enjoyed myself. Doug hiked out to the field and worked the stop watch to see if I could better my time (which was pretty slow) each lap. Lap one took fifteen minutes, lap two took thirteen minutes, and lap three too twelve. So next time out I'll look to beat the twelve minute out of one of my three laps. The process being to trim my time down until I can't trim it down anymore. Once the hunting season is over I'll move out to my 3/4 mile loop and work it because it includes a whopper hill to climb, and another whopper on the other side to shimmy down.
Phebes was pretty hot when I was tacking her up, boogering around in the stall. I put her on a longe line for awhile then took her out to the field and headed off. The first loop she was blowing and "snortling" at things, but she settled in pretty quickly.
Hope you all get some horse time today. My girl was throwing off steam when we got back! Winter riding is so nice if you can just motivate to get out there and do it.~E.G.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association