Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association
September 27, 2009
Finally bumped up the mileage thank you LIDA!!!
I met with Lida today at Versailles. We both wanted to push our horses up to a higher mileage. So we rode the whole park. The horses scooted along pretty quick on the XYZ loop finishing in about 2 hours ride time. Then a 35 minute break for lunch while the horses stuffed themselves with hay. Doc (Lida's beautiful saddlebred gelding) is just a great horse to rate along with. He can really motor down the trail, but Lida rated him down so that I could keep Phebes rated where I needed to be. After a little while it clicked, and I was able to get some nice slack in my reins. She also waited for Phebes at the water holes where we lost a lot of time, but by the second half Phebes was drinking at almost every stop as Doc patiently waited. The day was a lot of fun, even with the MUD. I'm thinking we will try to do another training ride in a couple of weeks, weather permitting. We completed 24.5 miles today and if it had been an Endurance ride we'd have made it as turtles, I'm good with that. The greatest reward of the day was when we got back, Phebes squatted and peed WONDERFUL GOLDEN PEE :)