Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association
February 10, 2009
Last year's birthday vs. this year's birthday
Today is my birthday. A year ago today I "re-started" Phebes who promptly tossed me off onto my head and I spent the next three days being kind of fuzzy and not in a good way. All I wanted for my birthday this year was to get to ride my horse. No little thing with ice storms, snow storms, rain, and now mud out the WAZOO. Didn't get home until 5:00pm tonight, and as I was driving rain started to sprinkle on my windshield, and my mood quickly began to deflate, as my day long expectation was take Phebes out even if for just a little while. I came in the house pretty bummed, and then said to myself, WHAT THE HECK, if I get wet I'll survive it. So I changed clothes, knocked some of the mud off of her, saddled up and went mudding on the hills. We had a nice 45 minute session on the sloggiest muddy hills you'd ever want to see. She did great! This horse can shimmy up a muddy hill, and she can slide on down with the best of them. If there is one thing I'm loving about her it is that. Her mama was a hill climbing fool, but in the mud she was a 1000 lb accident waiting to happen. Phebes will run in the wet on the flat, and she can handle the muddy up and downs, so this will make us less limited in our training sessions. She also experienced two very large flapping fish eating type birds that hang out on Laughery Creek, she spooked in place, but didn't lose it, GOOD PHEBES! My hubby bought her hackamore for my birthday, and my friends at work got me a set of hand weights and those exercise bands for my upper body workouts. My daughter sent me a lovely bouquet. My brother did his best rendition of Happy Birthday on my voice mail, and my Mom remembered me too. Doug scooped out the stalls, and fixed me a steak dinner while I went mudding on Phebes. What a nice birthday ~E.G.