Okay, my mood has shifted.
Today I decided we need to have a horse first aid kit put together for my travels and home. So at lunch today I headed to the Dollar Store to see what they might have to offer in the way of affordable goods for the first aid kit.
I brought home antibiotic salve, zinc oxide salve, cortisone cream, hydrogen peroxide, mosquito wipes, and maxi pads (which make good bandages under vet wrap in an emergency...they are nonstick, and absorbant, and the sticky side attaches to the vet wrap and stays in place).
On my list to buy a little at a time are:
Antifungal cream (great for early onset of scratches) $4
Betadine wash (dilute for minor wounds, or to wash off boo boos) $5
Bute (after ride muscle soreness) I have some
Rolls of vet wrap, a dozen as I use them when booting too, gives a boot grip $15
Banamine (post ride if directed by a veterinarian) *choke* $45
Sealed jug of water $2
wet wipes $3
Scissors $ 5
Duct tape & Disposable diaper for instant hoof boot if injured ,should have some
Clean dish towel & clean bath towels which I'll just bleach up some I have
Eye wash have some
Thermometer ??? I'll have to check with the vet on that one.
Twitch (have one, but need to find it)
Ice packs has been suggested! Excellent idea!!!
So about $90 if purchased all at once, but I'll just pick up a couple items a week to make it less painful. A tote will need scrubbed out to keep it in, and I'm thinking a see through one would be best.
Can anyone think of anything else for a very basic equine first aid kit?
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association