January 23, 2009

Long Slow Distance----What is it?

I know what long slow distance means to me, but like most things in life, the definition seems to mean something a little different depending on who you are talking with.

What does LONG SLOW DISTANCE really mean? Is it a walk, slow trot over gradually increasing distance? Is it a gradually escalating pace of a measured track such as 10 mile (with a goal to increase speed a little each session)?

My definition of LSD after 300 base miles is: WALK THE DOWNHILLS. A MEDIUM TROT ON THE FLATS. TROTTING EASY UPHILLS, and sometimes CANTERING THE UPHILLS.

For a newbie just starting into distance riding I'd think the LSD would mean something else. Maybe spending a season just building up bone and tendons at a brisk walk and easy trot, and walking the hills until the horse is fit.

Phebes is going to continue increasing her distance on the weekend with our riding group, and I hope to get myself to just relax at the canter. On weekdays I want to get her to relax on the trail network behind us until it is old hat, then we will start extending her trot, her speed, and other days really working those hills to build up her hind muscles for pushing up those huge hills to come at Henryville.

1 comment:

  1. You are right, LSD can mean different things to different people. I am one of those riders that loves to go fast. I had to really be cognisant of that desire with conditioning my horse this past season. He needed time to develop strength and he tends to be a lolly gagger anyways. I hope with conditioning and time that will improve.

    ReplyDelete