I've been working on a weekly ride for some of us endurance minded folks to help keep the horses in shape over the winter. If even a ride or two is put on them each week, at least they are that much closer to keeping condition than they were. I don't think anyone is thinking of breaking any speed barriers, just winter LSD pleasure riding to keep the horses fit. As the weather breaks in Feb. March, and trial conditions improve horses and riders will be good to go!
The tentative ride dates & places are as follows:
November 22: Versailles State Park 11 AM
November 30: Brown County State Park 11 AM
December 6: Henryville, Day parking just before Bill Wilson's place, 11 AM
December 14: Brown County State Park 11 AM
December 20: Versailles State Park 11 AM
December 27: Henryville, Day parking just before Bill Wilson's place, 11 AM
These will all be weather and road conditions permitting. We will need a head count on Thursday evening so folks know if it is a go situation. Any endurance folks, limited distance, or someone just wanting to learn about the sport from some folks with "know how", see if you can fit a few of these rides into your schedule. ~EG
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association