Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association
October 26, 2008
Distance 4. 59 miles Time: 01:41:02
The ride started off rough. Phebes was in full flight mode, spooking at everything in sight. This lasted for the first mile, so it was stop & go, stop & go. I'd trade her for a herd of pygmy chickens when she's like that. After that, she suddenly just settled in and was fine. So the remainder of the ride was very good. I must remind myself sometimes that Puddin' started out acting very much like this, and she turned out alright. The falls I've had this year have shaken my confidence, so it is hard for me to relax and go with it when she feels so volatile under me.
The Skito pad was nice (very dirty now thank you), the saddle didn't want to shift even though the maker forgot to put my grip strips on the pad. I'm very happy with it under the Hilason saddle. I know some people don't like the Hilason, but so far, I really can't complain with mine. It fits her nice, doesn't roll, stays put as much as any saddle would, it weighs about 12 pounds. If I could change anything about it, it would be to have the pads built into the saddle (some models have this, the one I wanted did not). The saddle has been modified by Gerald Huffman to have an emergency grab strap / carry handle on the front and conchos and ties. Easyride stirrups have been added, with a high density foam added to those for better padding of the ball of my right foot which is inflamed. I've also attached two water bottle holders, and my zip neck ditty to the back, as well as a mini home made cantle pack. ~Endurance Granny