The Endurance Granny officially turns 50 tomorrow. Today was sunny and the ground was beginning to dry up with reasonable footing. So I figured it was time to get the Phebes out and start working her under saddle. I began with some light ground work and she was just really having a fit, spooking, blowing, and eventually bucking and having a royal episode. I had the crupper on her, so I thought maybe she was having issues with that, so I removed it, and lounged her around both directions and she quit bucking. Thinking I had the bugs worked out I climbed on and walked her a little, then suddenly she tried to bolt, commenced bucking, and I lost a rein before I could get her stopped. She promptly laid me out on the ground with me landing on my head, and it hurt like hell. If the ground had been frozen or summer hard I'd have been knocked out or worse...as it was my legs didn't want to work right when I stood up, and the awful headache has persisted all afternoon. I wear a helmet, and if I did not it is unlikely I'd be sitting here typing this at all, maybe not even alive as hard as my head struck the ground. So on wobbly legs I had to go retrieve her from the other lot where she had raced off to join the other horses. I took her to the round pen and worked her until she'd join up, and then got back on and rode her a couple laps as I didn't feel well enough to do anything more.
Moments like these make me wonder if I'll ever get her trained enough to ride the trails. It is discouraging.
My poor sweet Puddin' is having a flare up of Uveitis in her right eye. She is on banamine. She has lost most of the vision in her other eye from this. She's such a sweet horse, I hate to think she will eventually go blind.
Tomorrow I join the ranks of "senior citizen".....what a way to leave my forties. Minor concussion, and whipped by a horse. ~Endurance Granny
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association