August 23, 2015

No Hoof No Horse

About six months ago Journey managed to step on her left from coronet band with her right front hoof.  It was Journey being Journey, she can manage to get herself into some real messes...it caused a little abscess which quickly blew out leaving a slight crater about the size of my little fingernail.  She never acted like it was an issue.  Fast forward six months and it has gradually worked its way down the center of the hoof to exactly just above break over at the toe.  Tonight when I turned them back out from evening chow I saw that she has a chunk completely gone right at the breakover, dead center.  I can just visualize this becoming a split...


We have been out of work for weeks as my work life, personal life, and the heat have given ample excuse to not do anything.  While my heart and my psyche wish to be out chugging down a quiet trail somewhere (anywhere...).   If the hoof decides to crack upward it will be a long drawn out mess getting it stopped.  I've never shod any of my horses, but I may have to do it to maintain integrity of hoof.  

I'm not sure when I'll be able to compete again.  My Mom isn't well and I'm trying to spend time with and helping her.   2015 may just have to be written off as one of those years...but I have plenty of stuff that needs my focus right not.  Mom, job, Green Bean growth (and finishing up the 2015 awards and such).   I'm down---but not out.

No comments:

Post a Comment